New Life in Christ
How to Overcome Temptation
Temptation is common in the life of man, and requires you to be absolutely dependent upon God. Temptation may be defined as the enticement to fulfill a God-given desire or drive in a God-forbidden way. There are three ways to deal with temptation:
- Give in.
- Fight in the flesh, only to be frustrated and often defeated. (Romans 7)
- Prevail in the power of Jesus Christ.
Truths about Temptation
- The Period: Jesus was Tempted Immediately After His Baptism
- The Place: Jesus was Tempted in the Wilderness
Types of Temptation
- Physical pleasure – This is a temptation that appeals to the body.
- Earthly position – This is the temptation to put God to the test, or bypass the narrow road.
- Spiritual power – Satan seeks to destroy your relationship with God through your appetites, ambitions, and affections. You must be alert and aware of his schemes.
Triumph over Temptation
Our victory over temptation requires:
- Compliance with the Word of God (Philippians 4:19)
- Commitment to the Will of God
- Continuance in the Worship of God (James 4:7)